Building Blocks helps global companies solve complex problems with digital technologies. We work with clients to identify digital opportunities that will increase revenues, develop relationships and improve efficiencies. Our design, technical and operational expertise then put those opportunities into practice - rapidly, reliably and at global scale.
Building Blocks is part of Dept - an international network of leading digital agencies. From our offices across Europe and the US, 600 of the most talented and experienced people in our industry combine creativity, technology and data to deliver digital products and services that build brands, grow businesses and make people’s lives easier.
Dept is made up of the agencies TamTam, Expand Online, a friend of mine, Second Degree, Building Blocks, Studio Dumbar, Be Excellent, Trust Agents, Unskippable and eBrella. The network has 600 employees, a combined turnover of over €60 million, and offices in Germany, UK, US, the Netherlands and Spain.
Overall Purpose of the Role
The Senior Front End Developer is a lead position within our US team. Our Experience team here at Building Blocks is a mixed-discipline digital team of fellow Front End Developers, UX specialists and Visual Designers based currently in the UK.
We are looking for someone to emulate this in our US office to better service our American clients and their needs. Your will be responsible for leading our Front End development projects in the Boston office. You will work on a variety of global digital projects for high profile B2B and B2C brands. You will have a passion and track record for creating useful interactivity into websites and web applications.
The Senior Front End Developer will work with our Experience Design and Technical teams in the UK and Spain, your role will be to work collaboratively with each group to prototype and then build interactive websites and applications for our global clients.
- You will build mobile-first, cross-browser compatible, high performing websites
- You will provide work estimates to Project Managers
- You will provide support to the Service Desk Team
- You will strive to look for better tools and techniques to introduce into the workplace
- You will deliver technical presentations to internal staff
- You will strive to continue to improve your craft
- You will ensure that client Technical Wiki’s are kept up to date
- You will always make yourself available to help anyone in the company no matter what role or technical level that person is.
- You will ensure Building Blocks best practices are followed (Coding quality, security, scalability, performance, translation & localisation)
- You will inform project managers of any issues identified in a project (along with your plans to rectify) and own the resolution until you are satisfied with the response.
- You will work with the Project Manager to ensure that solutions are developed in line with the effort allocated to the tasks and proactively prevent over engineering of solutions.
Technical Skills and/or Experience
- Be an expert with HTML and CSS3
- Have an extreme attention for detail and strive for perfection
- Have experience of responsive website development including component development, templates, grids / breakpoints & pattern libraries
- Have experience or awareness of CSS pre-processors (e.g. LESS and/or SASS)
- Have experience or awareness of task runners (e.g. Grunt and/or Gulp)
- Have experience using source control (Git)
- Be able to translate creative ideas and mockups into interactive prototypes
- Be aware of modular approaches to HTML markup
- Ideally have experience of building for a CMS
Our core principles
We do things properly - We always focus on delivering quality, no matter what the task. We don’t cut corners and always strive to find the right solution for every challenge. We work with integrity and are dedicated to delivering excellence across the entire business.
We aim to be the best - We’re all passionate about what we do, so we focus on continually improving for the good of both our own personal development and the goals of the business. We’re confident in our ability to take ownership, and tackle everything with a proactive mind-set.
We’re open and honest - We are always approachable and transparent with our communications. Our opinions are open, constructive and respected by all members of the team, and the clients we work with.
We trust each other - We all appreciate the contribution of each and every one of our colleagues. We treat each other with respect and dignity, and know that we can rely on each other to provide help, support and guidance whenever it’s needed.
We’re all in it together - We don’t believe in blame, just in finding solutions to tackle even the hardest of challenges. We all have individual areas of expertise, and our success comes from our consistent collaboration.
Remuneration & Benefits Package
Excellent package dependent on experience.