Building Blocks help global companies solve complex problems with digital technologies. We work with clients to identify digital opportunities that will increase revenues, develop relationships and improve efficiencies. Our design, technical and operational expertise then put those opportunities into practice - rapidly, reliably and at global scale.
We have always worked with ambitious organisations who offer their products and services internationally. We understand the need to balance centralised consistency with local flexibility and offerings to support the specific goals of local market teams. We have rolled out 100’s of websites in over 100 different local countries.
Our team sits in Manchester (UK), Boston (US) and Zaragoza (Spain). We are a team of 70 people and growing, quickly. Building Blocks is part of Dept - an international group of leading digital agencies.Overall Purpose of the Role
The Lead Java Developer will be responsible for the quality of all the Java projects we deliver.
You will be a successful team manager with the ability to guide and nurture the team to work collaboratively to deliver projects on time and on budget. You will be responsible for the delegation of the team’s day-to-day activities and ensure the highest quality standards are adhered to.
You will get the chance to lead Java-based projects, talk to clients and work with our architects to design the solutions. However, this is still a very hands-on technical role and so you will need to demonstrate both your management and development abilities.
- Being our Java expert and focusing on ensuring that Building Blocks delivers quality Java based projects.
- Assessing the work of other team members and help support them in developing their skills.
- Taking the lead in setting our best practices and work closely with other senior members of the team to set our internal quality standards.
- Creation of detailed technical specifications in English.
- Ownership of complex projects and their technical delivery.
- Completion of deployments to internal and client-owned systems.
- Attending client facing workshops, often at client sites.
- Recommendation of new tools and approaches to improve our delivery process.
- Completing technical handovers of solutions to clients’ technical teams.
- Working closely with the Head of Development in Manchester, UK to help build the team in Zaragoza.
- Involvement in pre-sales to showcase our Java expertise to new clients.
- Some travel to Manchester, UK to work with the wider technical team.
Technical/Specialist Skills and/or Experience
- 5+ years of professional experience with Java, J2EE and JSP.
- Strong experience with Tomcat, JBoss, or another Java application server.
- Strong experience with Spring MVC.
- Experience with one of the following JUnit, Cucumber, Capybara, Jasmine.
- Solid experience with Hibernate, JPA, or another ORM library.
- Experience with Oracle, MySQL, Postgres or another SQL RDBMSExperience with Maven or Gradle.
- Experience with GIT.
- Be able to speak in English to a professional level.
- Be able to demonstrate strong people management skills.
- Be able to manage the work load of the wider team.
- Be able to manage your own time and provide work estimates when required.
- Always want to improve the way that you work to produce better results.
- Confident talking to clients on the telephone and in person.
- Be willing to travel to meet with clients on occasion.
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in written form.
- Have common sense and a sense of humour.
- Be ambitious and prepared to work hard.
- Experience with an Enterprise level CMS platform such as SDL Tridion, Adobe AEM, Fatwire/Oracle, Hippo CMS.
- Experience with Neo4J or MongoDB.
- Experience with Jenkins or Teamcity.
Our core principles
We do things properly
We always focus on delivering quality, no matter what the task. We don’t cut corners and always strive to find the right solution for every challenge. We work with integrity and are dedicated to delivering excellence across the entire business.
We aim to be the best
We’re all passionate about what we do, so we focus on continually improving for the good of both our own personal development and the goals of the business. We’re confident in our ability to take ownership, and tackle everything with a proactive mind-set.
We’re open and honest
We are always approachable and transparent with our communications. Our opinions are open, constructive and respected by all members of the team and the clients we work with.
We trust each other
We all appreciate the contribution of each and every one of our colleagues. We treat each other with respect and dignity, and know that we can rely on each other to provide help, support and guidance whenever it’s needed.
We’re all in it together
We don’t believe in blame, just in finding solutions to tackle even the hardest of challenges. We all have individual areas of expertise, and our success comes from our consistent collaboration.
Excellent package dependent on experienceApply now
To apply, email your CV to email@example.com
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES